Spinal Fusion Surgery in India
Plan your Spinal Fusion Surgery in India with Dheeraj Bojwani Consultants
Our daily activities leave little or no time for our body to relax and heal itself. Improper sitting habits, wrong posture in standing, sudden movements, jerks, or accidents affect our backs the most. Back aches are the most common complaints we hear everyday. While some spine problems go away with proper care, some may require surgery for a permanent solution. Choosing the right treatment is vital and Dheeraj Bojwani Consultants in India provide access to the best spine surgeons, at affordable rates.
How things function at Dheeraj Bojwani Consultants:
- Excellent panel : Patients are guided and assisted to choose the treatment most suitable for them, under the #1 specialists in India.
- Primary facilities : We take care the most important facets like appointment with doctors, your medical visa, accommodation, healthy meals.
- Recovery assistance : You may have to stay in the hospital for 2 to 3 days post treatment depending on your surgery. Dheeraj Bojwani Consultants will help you in your speedy recovery.
- Low cost : The cost involved in the treatment, your stay, flight tickets, meals etc is nearly 25% of the expenses in western countries.
- Other services : Quick visa letter, flight ticket bookings, languators, foreign exchange facility, hotel arrangement, vacation tours and plans.
International Patient Experience
Mr. Peter, Nigeria
Spine Surgery for his aunty
They were very friendly and receptive and helped us with the visa procedure which is quite commendable. Within a few weeks all the arrangements were made and we were in India for my aunt's Spinal Fusion Surgery in Hyderabad. The hospital staff was very welcoming and everything went very well. The surgery was low cost and was performed by a team of skilled Spine Surgeons. We are grateful towards the team for everything.
What is Spinal Fusion Surgery?
Spinal Fusion Surgery is a worldwide performed back surgery procedure in which two or more vertebrae are joined together (fused), so that no individual movement occurs in the operated vertebral levels. The idea of the surgery is to permanently connect the vertebrae to each other. Surgeon may use plates, screws or rods to hold the vertebrae and graft in place to promote healing after spinal fusion. Once the bone graft heals, the vertebrae are permanently connected. This creates a solid piece of bone, rather than a joint that allows movement. This procedure is used primarily to eliminate the pain caused by abnormal motion of the vertebrae by immobilizing the vertebrae themselves.
What is the Success Rate of Spinal Fusion Surgery?
There have been several studies on the success rate of spinal fusion, and they all give general success rates above ninety percent. This means that ninety percent of the time successful fusion is obtained. Patients can expect a long term solution to most if not all of their back pain problems. It is not a quick fix. A well maintained physical rehabilitation schedule and good nutrition, as recommended by a physician, greatly increase the success rate and time it take to obtain them.
What is the Conditions Treated with Spinal Fusion Surgery?
Conditions treated with Spinal fusion surgery are:
- degenerative disc disease
- spinal disc herniation
- discogenic pain
- spinal tumor
- vertebral fracture
- kyphosis (i.e, Scheuermann's disease)
- Posterior Rami Syndrome
- other degenerative spinal conditions
- any condition that causes instability of the spine
How is the Preparation for Spinal Fusion Surgery?
Always inform your surgeon or nurse what medicines you are taking, even medicines or herbs without a prescription.
Days before the surgery:
- If you are a smoker, you need to stop. Patients who have spinal fusion and continue to smoke may not heal as well.
- Two weeks before surgery, your doctor or nurse may ask you to stop taking drugs that make it harder for your blood to clot. These include aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn), and other drugs like these.
- If you have diabetes, heart disease, or other medical problems, your surgeon will ask you to see your regular doctor.
- Talk with your doctor if you have been drinking a lot of alcohol.
- Ask your doctor which drug you should still take on the day of the surgery.
- Always let your doctor know about any cold, flu, fever, herpes breakout, or other illnesses you may have.
On the day of the surgery:
- You will usually be asked not to drink or eat anything for 6 to 12 hours before the surgery procedure.
- Take your drugs your doctor told you to take with a small sip of water.
- Follow the instructions given to by the surgeon.
What are the Types of Spinal Fusion Surgery?
There are different types of Spinal fusion surgery and surgeon may recommend the type of procedure according to the patient’s condition.
Anterior Inter-body Fusion Procedure:
In an anterior spinal fusion surgery procedure the intervertebral disc is removed and the vertebrae are fused together via a transverse or vertical incision over the lower abdomen. In this operation, majority of the symptomatic intervertebral disc or discs are removed and replaced with bone. This bone is obtained from the front of the pelvis, usually through the same skin incision. It may be taken as a large piece, but more commonly small pieces of bone are obtained which are then packed into a hollow implant or cage. The block of bone or the cage is then inserted between the vertebrae.
Postero-lateral Fusion Procedure:
In Postero-lateral spinal fusion surgery procedure an incision is made in the middle of the back and adjacent vertebrae is joined with screws and rods but without interfering with the disc. Small pieces of bone are usually taken from the back of the pelvis, through the same skin incision, and are placed along the back and side of the vertebrae to be fused.
Internal fixation devices generally improve the rate of fusion, but implants of this type are also associated with certain disadvantages and complications and are therefore not always used. When they are used screws, rods or plates can stay in the body forever but in some cases these implants can cause discomfort, irritation of the overlying muscles, become loose, infected or breaks, in which case they may need to be removed.
Phone Numbers Reach Us-
India & International : +91-9860755000 / +91-9371136499
UK : +44-2081332571
Canada & USA : +1-4155992537
Combined Anterior & Posterior Fusion Procedure:
A combined anterior and posterior fusion surgery procedure is nothing more than performing both an anterior and postero-lateral fusion at the same time, or at least under the same anesthetics. The advantage is that the chance of achieving a fusion and of eliminating the source of symptoms is improved.
Fusion requires a process of healing which is similar to the way broken bones heal.
How is Recovery after Spinal Fusion Surgery?
A patient has to normally spend 3-4 days in the hospital, however, in serious cases; the hospitalization can even extend to 5-6 days. For elderly people, it is commonly recommended that after the spinal surgery, they should stay in rehabilitation centers for about a week, so that the proper patient care can be taken.
During the rehabilitation program, simple aerobic and cardiovascular exercises are taught to the older people, so that any strain on their heart or chest due to the spinal surgery is controlled effectively.
The spinal fusion process in every patient is quite different as every individual has a different body constitution. In every patient, the body heals slowly and the bone graft takes substantial time to fuse with the vertebrae.
The process of healing after the spinal fusion recovery is similar to that after a bone fracture. Spinal fusion healing time in a young and healthy adult is 4 to 6 weeks, in case of a single layer spinal fusion. In older people and people with a job that doesn't demand much physical work, the spinal fusion recovery time can take around 4 to 5 months. Read more on spine surgery recovery time.
After the spinal fusion surgery, the patients have to follow certain restrictions in their daily activities. For instance, patients have to comply with the advice of the medical expert with respect to movement of the legs.
In many cases, postoperative measures include putting braces to protect the bones. There are various types of braces that can be used.
What are the Advantages of Spinal Fusion Surgery?
In most cases, spinal fusion can eliminate the pain and other symptoms. It is important for a surgeon to explain the options, and benefits of spinal fusion surgery. There are many advantages of Spinal fusion surgery such as:
By fusing the level, there is less concern that the patient will need surgery again at that level. If the discs and/or facets are pain generators, as is often the case, a fusion will ensure that motion at the level is stopped, potentially eliminating the low back pain.
A second advantage of spinal fusion surgery is that it reduces post-decompressive deformity. Some patients develop post-laminectomy kyphosis, which is an abnormal alignment of the spine. This too can often lead to additional surgery. Similarly, a fusion can correct any deformity the patient had before surgery and ensure that the normal alignment of the spine is restored. This may reduce wear and tear (and need for future surgery) on the neighboring levels.
What are the Risks of Spinal Fusion Surgery?
As with any other surgery, there are possibilities for complications but these tend to occur less then one percent of the time. The complications that do arise are the same type as in other surgeries, such as:
- Anesthetic problems
- Urinary difficulties
- Absent or decreased intestinal function
Why prefer India for Spinal Fusion Surgery?
The alternatives to spinal fusion surgery are intra-discal electro thermal coagulation, disc replacement, posterior dynamic stabilization and Disc regeneration.
Why Spinal Fusion Surgery in India?
The primary reason people travel abroad for a medical purpose is to save on medical treatment costs in their home country. With several leading medical tourism destinations offering world class health care at state-of-the-art facilities, yet at costs as much as half of those in Europe or North America, its is no wonder the medical tourism industry has expanded rapidly in the past decade.
India boasts volumes of its excellently maintained healthcare providers by stringent government controls on the policies for control of promotion and advertisement, thus not visible much in news papers, magazines and electronic media. But certainly as good as other regional healthcare providers like Singapore and Thailand.
Accommodation and hotels in India are another very good reason for medical tourism promotion in this country. India has very extensive network of all categories of hotels and motels. All big international chain of hotels is available in India.
Hotels in the cities are packed with features of style and living. All at affordable prices, a sound reason for patients and tourists traveling for medical tourism, to choose India as the choice destination.
You can go for Spinal fusion surgery in India in following cities:
What is the Cost of Spinal Fusion Surgery in India?
The cost of the Spinal fusion surgery is the major factor that is considered while visiting another country. Low cost is not the only criteria, patient looks for a quality output with low cost. India is proving to be much beneficial for such patients as the cost of the treatment is low without compromising the quality.
|Type of Spinal Fusion Surgery||USA||UK||India||Thailand||Singapore|
|Anterior Inter-Body Fusion||$30,000||$24,000||$6,000||$7,500||$900|
How many International patients came to India for Spinal Fusion Surgery?
The list of TOP 15 countries from where the Spinal Fusion Surgery Patients travelling to India are given below. The major reason of large number of patients travelling to India for medical treatment from these countries is because of availability of quality healthcare in India, affordable prices and very good air connectivity, tourism options and many more reasons.
The maximum number of patients for Spinal Fusion Surgery come from – USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Kenya, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Turkmenistan, Afghanistan
Here are the approximate percentage wise distributions of the patients coming from Top 10 countries to India in 2017 for Spinal Fusion Surgery
Why Plan Spine Fusion Surgery in India with Dheeraj Bojwani Group?
With a strong emphasis on our client's safety and comfort, Dheeraj Bojwani Group provides those choosing medical tourism with choices of physicians in India that are often heads of the department and have a PhD in addition to their MD degrees.
You just have to send us a query regarding your Spine fusion surgery in India and within 24 hours an assistant from Dheeraj Bojwani Group will contact you for further details and interaction. From that point you don’t have to worry about anything. That assistant will take care of all your proceedings like arranging VISA, accommodation, appointment with the doctor with round the clock services to make your medical tour hassle free.
Phone Numbers Reach Us-
India & International : +91-9860755000 / +91-9371136499
UK : +44-2081332571
Canada & USA : +1-4155992537
Some of the common countries from which patients travel to India for surgery are:
Below are the downloadable links that will help you to plan your medical trip to India in a more organized and better way. Attached word and pdf files gives information that will help you to know India more and make your trip to India easy and memorable one.
|Click icon to Download Document|
|About India||Destinations in India|
|Indian Embassy List||Medical Tourism FAQ|
|Visa For India|
- How can I get Best Spine Surgery in India?
- India has a number of renowned Spine Surgeons, and choosing one can be tricky. Send us your medical reports and we will find the best suitable Spine Surgeon for you.
- What is the best way to cure lower back pain?
- Stretching, moving your body, some ice at the aching portion are some of the ways to cure a lower back pain. Check out our webpage for more information. If your pain persists, consults a doctor.
- What limitations will I have after surgery and for how long?
- You will advised not to eat anything 6 to 12 hours before the surgery, stop the intake of drugs without consulting your doctor. For more info on limitations and precautions, visit our website.
- How soon after the surgery can I start physical therapy?
- Hospital stay after a surgery is nearly 3-4 days, and may expand to 5-6 days in serious cases. Afterwards, you can immediately go for a physical therapy as the surgeon guides.
- What will make the Spine go Back to Being Straight Again?
- A good Spinal Fusion Surgery is a sure shot way to restore your spine's alignment. Ask Dheeraj Bojwani Consultants for assistance in reaching the best spine surgeon/hospital in India.
- Laparoscopic Spine Surgery in India
- Lumbar Spine Surgery in India
- Disc Replacement Surgery in India
- Spine Surgeons and Hospitals in India
- Endoscopic Spine Surgery in India