Professor Alok Sharma is a Neurosurgeon, Neuroscientist and Medical teacher who brings to the Wockhardt Hospital extensive surgical expertise & experience in frontline areas of Neurosurgery and Neuroscience. Apart from being Consultant Neurosurgeon at the Wockhardt hospital, he is the also the Professor & Head of Department of Neurosurgery at the LTM Medical College and LTMG Hospital and Consultant Neurosurgeon to the Central Railway hospital.
He graduated and received his post graduate Neurosurgical training at the Seth G.S. Medical College & KEM Hospital in Mumbai. Subsequently he received specialized training & has done Fellowships in some of the most prestigious Universities in the world including those in Sweden, England, Germany, Japan and USA.
He has authored / edited 4 books, contributed chapters to many textbooks, produced educational Neurosurgical films and has over 40 scientific publications to his credit. He has made over 75 Scientific Presentations at International, National & Zonal Conferences & Meetings and has organized & arranged over 15 National and International Conferences/Workshops in various specialized aspects of Neurosurgery. He is in charge of the Neuroscience Research Laboratory (which is doing pioneering stem cell research) and has participated in various International / National clinical trials & studies. He has been the recipient of various academic awards and honors throughout his educational and professional career.
Areas of Surgical Expertise :
- Microneurosurgical excision of complex benign and malignant Brain Tumours.
- Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery (Stereotactic & Functional Neurosurgery / Endoscopic Neurosurgery)
- Spinal Disorders-Decompression & instrumentation-stabilization (Cervical & lumbar spondylosis / disc prolapse surgery, Craniovertebral junction, Spinal tumours & tuberculosis)
- Cerebrovascular Surgery for Brain stroke (Carotid endartrectomy / bypass surgery for cerebral ischemia, Surgery for Brain hemorrhage / aneurysms / avms.) & Microvascular Decompressions.
- Head Injury and Spinal injury.
- Pediatric / Congenital Neurosurgical problems ( Craniofacial surgery / tumours & infections in children / hydrocephalus)
Special Research / Treatment Interests :
- Stem cell treatment / Neural transplantation for spinal cord injury /other neurological disorders
- Neurostimulation / Neuroregenerative / Neuroprotective therapies
- Neurooncology / Neurobiology