Present Appointment :
Executive Director and Chief Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgeon and member of the board of Governors, Escorts Heart Institute and Research Center, Okhla Road, New Delhi, since 1988. Appointed as Personal Surgeon to the President of India with effect from 04.06.1991.
Appointed as Honorary Consultant to the Cromwell Hospital, London, U.K., with effect from March, 1994.
Past Academic Appointments :
- Assistant Professor of Surgery, New York University Medical Center, New York, U.S.A., 1981-1988.
- Clinical Instructor of Surgery, New York University Medical Center, New York, U.S.A., 1971-1974
- Teaching Assistant of Surgery, New York University Medical Center, New York, U.S.A., 1971-1974
Past Staff Appointments :
- Attending Cardiothoracic Surgeon, New York University Medical Center, New York, U.S.A., 1979-1988.
- Attending Cardiothoracic Surgeon and Consultant, Bellevue Hospital of the City of New York, U.S.A.
- Chief Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Veterans Administration Hospital (Manhattan), U.S.A.
- Attending Cardiothoracic Surgeon, New York Infirmary-Beekman-Downtown Hospital, New York, U.S.A., 1979-1988.
- Attending Cardiothoracic Surgeon, St.Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center, New York, U.S.A., 1979-1988.
Professional Experience :
After training in general surgery and subsequently cardiac surgery at premier institutions in U.S., held important academic and clinical positions at the New York University Medical Center, Bellevue Hospital of the City of the New York and Veterans Administration Hospital (Manhattan), U.S.A. His pioneering work in the field of coronary artery bypass surgery was at the New York University Medical Center, New York, USA, where he performed over 3000 coronary artery operations.
In 1988 at the height of his career he left this academic and highly lucrative position and started Escorts Heart Institute and Research Center - a pioneering state-of-the-art heart institute in India. This institute is on par or rather better than the best in the world and has set new standards of cardiac care in our country. Within a span of 14 years this Centre has become an important land mark the world over in cardiac surgery and cardiology having successfully performed over 30,000 open heart surgeries which includes surgeries of coronary artery, valves, carotid arteries, aortic aneurysm, cardiomyoplasty, cardiac arrhythmias, total arterial myocardial revascularization, transmyocardial laser revascularisation and least invasive coronary artery surgery on a beating heart and reduction ventriculoplasty (Batista Operation) with excellent results. Some of these operations have been performed by him for the first time in India.
Besides clinical work he has taken keen interest in training, education and research programmes. He is giving doctoral training of international standards to 30 surgeons at a point of time in the institute. The training is for a period of 3 years. Over 20 surgeons have already been trained so far. He has established a comprehensive research programme to constantly monitor the data accumulated on a daily basis from each patient. He has presented a number of scientific papers and chaired scientific sessions in national and international conferences in USA, UK, Japan, China, Israel and the far east.